Sunday, October 31, 2010

Don't it make you wanna go home?

Yesterday I went to my Mom's family reunion. I always love getting together with family especially these cousins. There are first cousins, second cousins, third and even forth cousins. There is always lots of laughter, hugs, music and of course good food. We have this one a lot of years in the county where Mama grew up. Going out that road brings back so many memories, even though some of the landscape has changed. There is a new park, several new schools, and even a Civic Center, church and funeral home, but the little church off to the right where some of my ancesters are buried still looks about the same. Oh my what a flood of emotions as I drove along. I remembered going out that road as a very little girl, and then as a teen after I started driving. I am reminded of a song that was popular in 1969-70-71, "Don't it Make You Wanna go Home? He sings, "the whipporwhill roosts on the telephone pole, as the Georgia sun goes down. Well it's been a long time, and I'm glad to say that I'm going back to my hometown." Well this was my Mom's hometown, and we go back every year now since 1987 after my grandfather passed away. Joe goes on to sing, "Don't it make you wanna go home now, don't it make you wanna go home. All God's children get weary when we roam, don't it make you wanna go home?" But there is a four-lane highway down by the creek where my grandpa's cows used to graze, now the grass don't grow and the river don't flow, like it did in my childhood days. (my words not his) In the song there is a dragstrip where Grandma's cow used to graze. But now there is not even the dragstrip anymore. How good it was to visit again with these cousins, who were my friends and playmates as we grew. So many good memories. My daughters and grandchildren came too. I hope they will one day look back on these reunions with Nana and all her cousins with fondness. As I would introduce them to different ones the younger ones would just look and smile, and look to me for approval, then extend their little hand for 'high five' or shake. I would tell them, "this is my cousin, and your cousin too." One of the boys said, "yes I know Nana". One of my cousins plays several stringed instruments, and he with some of his friends entertained us with music. In that side of the family, their was always music when we got together. I especially remember my uncle, Mama's oldest brother, playing the guitar and my cousins would join him in song and playing whatever we could to make music. Another cousin was remembering how her brothers would come to our grandparents when this uncle was there and play football and then 'make music' as my great aunt put it. I ask this aunt once, "how did you and her husband get together?" Well she said, I had actually gone to a dance with his brother, my other great-uncle and her future husband was making music on the fiddle, well he kept making eyes at her and finally got a chance to dance with her, and the rest is history. My great aunt is my grandmother on my dad's side, sister. She married my great-uncle, my maternal grandfather's brother. One sister and brother married another sister and brother. So to recap, so as not to confuse anyone: my Granny's brother and sister, married my Papa's on Mama's side, brother and sister. Back in the 40's and 50's it was not uncommon for cousins to be one's only playmates. This was the case for my Mom. She was visiting her cousins and my Dad was working with his uncle in his sawmill. Well the cousins wanted them to meet, and the rest is history. I have so many wonderful childhood memories of the area where my grandparents lived. I long to go back there as often as possible.
So now, Don't it make you wanna go home?
happy memories till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment