Monday, October 18, 2010

avoiding pitfalls

"The Bible says we're wise to look ahead. By doing that, we'll be prepared to spot the pitfalls when they come into our lives." There are four specific pitfalls we all will face: cultural distractions, voices of doubt, tempting shortcuts and discouraging delays.-Rick Warren-Purpose Drive Life' devotional for today. so true> Just like driving, we must constantly look ahead.
Saturday night I was driving home from Acworth, I75 S to I285 toward Greenville, merging onto I85 N. I have to say this is always stressful for me, but especially at night. Thankfully I am able to look ahead enough to avoid 'pitfalls' or other people's calamities. Life lessons to be learned on the 'highway of life' as we travel familiar and unfamiliar roads. I am thankful I can still drive along those highways, that as a younger driver, were more familiar to me than they seem to be now. For years as a young wife and then as a young mother, I drove to Perimeter, Cumberland, Northlake and even Lenox Square areas without hesitation. Now however, it is a different story. Fear can engulf me, and my muscles literally are in knots, but I have learned to pray with my eyes wide open and to trust, God Who sees and knows, and then a little of my own "good sense". Not to follow too closely the car in front, and not to become intimidated by the aggressive drivers around me. I try to remember not to get in too big of a hurry that I make careless mistakes. So hopefully, I will continue to maneuver, these highways and avoid potential 'pitfalls'.

No comments:

Post a Comment