Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Keeping your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail.

The last two days I have been to Athens to St. Mary's hospital. My uncle is there. He was taken Sunday evening. my cousins thought he was having a stroke, (very scary) Early in the morning Monday they moved him to ICU, decided he was having a heart attack. Well I took my Dad to see him yesterday and today. This uncle is my Mom's brother. He is a very special person to my dad, as well as me. Anyway today he seemed better, more like himself. He was talking more and laughing. While we were there he had to be taken for a CAT scan and MRI. then had ultra sound on his legs. Now they are saying he will have heart cath and possible open heart surgery. Praying for peace and wisdom for all the family to make decisions. My grandfather, his Dad always had a joke about serious things, my uncle is no different. He was saying "I had a skitty scat scan," that is how my grandfather would talk about the cats around the yard. Also a "jack hammer was going over his chest" that was how it sounded to him, the MRI.
Anyway today we drove Daddy's vehicle and he has a CD of old gospel hymns. One of them has lyrics that say "Life is like a mountain railroad." one line says, "Keep your hand on the throttle, and your eye on the rail." Well my grandmother used to say that to me, especially after I started dating my husband. He lived in Dacula and to get to his house from where I lived in Hog Mountain, I had to go Dacula Rd. She and my Dad referred to this road as "Sims' Creek road." It was then a deserted and little traveled road. She would tell me, "Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail." I often wondered where she got that from. Now I know, that old song. That CD has a lot of songs on it I remember her singing and playing on her organ. 'What a Friend we Have in Jesus.' Amazing Grace' 'In the Garden.' 'On the Wings of a Dove'
So friends, 'Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you go along.' That is what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment