Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Keeping track of childhood and high school friends

For the last few months a fire has been lit under me, for a class reunion. Oh my, I cannot believe how many years it has been since my senior year at good ole North Gwinnett.

Some of us have kept in touch frequently during those years, celebrating birthdays, our own and our children, together. Some of us have had the pleasure of having our children in the same school we went to, but lost touch since our kids got out of school. Then there are some of us who have reconnected through the luxury of facebook.

Even though I was not a class officer, I am taking this thing and running with it. I am a stay-at-home, childcare provider, so I have lots of time on my hands, and thankfully, with all appreciation to my whiz of a son, I have my own computer. So former classmates, beware! I am out to try to find you.

Two of my fellow classmates and I met yesterday and started. With yearbooks in hand, we talked about everyone of the 96 people who graduated with us. There were less than 15 that one of us did not know something about their whereabouts or someway to get in touch with them. Sadly enough, I have found out that at least 5 of our friends are deceased, no longer with us. Some of them have lost one or both of their parents, a spouse, and children. Some of them live out of state, and some stayed in Gwinnett or surrounding area. Some have children in the Military and are on foreign soil, fighting for the freedoms we enjoy. Some of North's sons and daughters (possibly) have given the ultimate sacrifice for country. I don't know of any of my classmates, but if I find out they did, I want to honor them.

While meeting with Sandra and Arlene, we had the best time. I was complimented with one of the sweetest statements, "I seem like a lady who is comfortable in my own skin." Wow. I spent 12 years of my life with several of my classmates having gone from 1st grade - graduation with them. Being a small, rural community back in the 60's, we were simple and poor, by many standards, but I am finding we were rich and wise. For we value what is important, and found that what really matters is faith, family and friends. I consider myself very rich, because I have all three.

I am having such a good time with this and looking so forward to when we can get together again. I love you class of '71, just "keeping track all over again."

No comments:

Post a Comment